April 21, 2010

Jacksonville Florida Fishing Blues


I've wanted to fish salt with a fly for quite some time. I finally got the opportunity last Monday. It was kind of a last minute plan, but I did my best to take advantage of the situation. I dropped my sister off at the airport in Jacksonville at 5:15am and I was on my way to Fort George Island east of Jacksonville soon after. It's not much more then 30 min to my destination, but after the runaround trying to get a license, it was past 7:30am before I wet a line.

I spent most of my time in the Jacksonville Huguenot Park. I parked within 50 yards of the beach and started casting. I spoke to a few bait fisherman who were catching Whiting on dead shrimp. I walked where Shad Creek came in and fished the confluence. I had a few missed strikes and saw a couple fish slash at my fly, but I couldn't seem to find the right rhythm.

I fished with a few flies I tied last minute before flying out from Utah. I caught a Bluefish on the glass minnow clouser. This is my first saltwater fish on a fly and it's a trophy to me! I can't wait to get back out on the salt!


I saw an array of sea-life while walking the shoreline including a sea turtle, stingrays and busting bait-fish. I waded about mid-thigh deep into the water and as I was walking out, I about stepped on this jellyfish. It was hard to get a good shot since it wanted to stay deeper in the off-color water.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great trip. That last picture is awesome is that a rainbow colored jellyfish? Lets go catch some real bass now aye?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet. always wanted to salt a fly myself - glad to see a hookup. Love the GA bass pics to.
    You know you have to piss on your leg if you get hit by a jelly....believe me it works.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got hit by a jellyfish in Cabo years ago on the arm. I never had the nerve to have someone pee on me, but it left a mark for over a year and hurt real bad.

    Bassin' is a blast!

    ReplyDelete