April 15, 2009

Bulk Order Scud Hooks- UPDATE

***********5/5/09 Update on scud hook order.

I received 300 more scud hooks in the mail. I haven't been able to give them a thorough look over yet, so I will wait to post new info on the hooks. But I will say they are sharp! I emailed him and asked for any way I can ensure I get these hooks and if he can give them for same cost. I would be willing to pay more if needed. I will give a full report as I have new information ***********

***Update on the update - I emailed the guy and he responded back within a couple hours. He is sending me 300 more hooks #12, #14, #18 from a different manufacturer. I will post another update on update. ***

I received the hooks Monday. The eyes are closed off (good, meaning no gap where the loop comes around), not extremely bright, no noticeable burs or imperfections, a med-gauge wire scud hook

100 #12 - Not very sharp
100 #14 - Almost as dull as the #12

200 #16 - seemed sharp. Passed the "Finger Nail" test. I still need to try them in action to verify if they pierce fish lips

100 #18 - doesn't appear very sharp, but better then #12 & #14. But the hook point curves around too close to eye making for a small gap between the two. Compared to a TMC 2487, heavier wire and about 35% less gap between eye and point.

I will try the #16 in action. But not impressed by the hook's sharpness. I guess I got what I paid for...about $.04 a hook.

I'm going to e-mail the guy and let me know I was disappointed. I expected them to be sharper for "Chemically Sharpened" hooks. These hooks appear to either be bathed too long or not enough in the chemical bath for optimum sharpness.

2 comments:

  1. the Togen hooks aren't bad. pretty dang affordable too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may try those next.

    ReplyDelete